Jeff Brown is the host and creator of the Read to Lead podcast, a top-ranked business and career podcast in iTunes. He spent 26 years in radio, and for 6 of those years he co-hosted an award-winning and nationally syndicated morning show. Using his background and talents, Jeff’s mission is to help you bridge the gap between intentionality and implementation. He does this through public speaking, mentoring, teaching, and most often through the Read to Lead podcast. Jeff is a firm believer in the mantra, “Leaders read and Readers lead.”
How do you react when circumstances force you to change what you THOUGHT was your path? It’s something many dream chasers face, and it’s important to be aware when new opportunities present themselves. Jeff shares how he went from studying to be a music teacher to an “accidental” radio career. It all started with a crash course and led to his first radio job over 30 years ago!
The Reluctant Podcaster:
Do you have an idea you’ve been hesitant to try out? Jeff first had an idea about podcasting LONG before he had the nerve to jump into it. He knew he had skills to learn, plans to make, and research to do—and it took one step at a time. It turns out that losing one job opened the doors for him to launch into podcasting. He admits that it took some poking and prodding from others for him to take the leap, but podcasting has led him to coaching and teaching about creating content and honing interviewing skills.
Do you know how to REALLY listen? Jeff shares his personal experience in his mastermind group and how each person was able to share skills that helped the others. In your group or on your team, the two most important skills are being present and listening. Learn how to block out distractions and protect “sacred” time, and learn to listen and let the conversation flow. Jeff says that mastering these skills will make you a valuable part of your team!
Guest Recommendation: ONE action for a dream chaser to take—“The baby steps you take now may not feel like they make a big difference, but over time, they add up and they will be impactful.”
OUTLINE OF THIS EPISODE:
- [1:58] Sharing gifts, giving value, and impacting others
- [2:46] How Jeff’s radio career began by accident
- [5:33] Getting and keeping a job in radio
- [8:13] Fighting for a job he loved
- [9:51] How Jeff “clicked” with the fickle field of radio
- [12:02] Jeff’s sign to move on
- [13:50] The plunge into podcasting
- [18:13] Surround yourself with positive people who are smarter than you
- [22:07] Realizing it’s time to move on
- [24:50] Two rules for your group or team
- [28:36] Jeff’s mantra and how Read to Lead began
- [31:27] The podcast episodes, authors, and the books
- [34:37] What it means to “give yourself permission”
- [37:13] When you don’t feel ready or worthy: Take action!
- [40:19] Jeff’s ONE action for a dream chaser to take
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE:
Jeff on Facebook
Jeff on Instagram
Jeff on Twitter
Jeff on LinkedIn
Books mentioned by Jeff:
The Inspiration Code by Kristi Hedges
Real Artists Don’t Starve by Jeff Goins
The 12 Week Year by Brian P. Moran and Michael Lennington
TWEETS YOU CAN USE: