Jo Whittemore is the author of numerous middle-grade humor and fantasy novels. She is a member of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) and is part of the Texas Sweethearts & Scoundrels. She writes from her secret lair in Austin, Texas, which she shares with her husband.
“I Can do it—-Watch”:
Why are you afraid to fail? Jo shares some lessons learned through self-teaching and pushing through early mistakes. She says that trying something you’ve never done before means you don’t know that you can fail. It’s when others tell you that you can’t do it that the fear and uncertainty creep in. YOU must decide whether or not to believe them. Sometimes you just need to say, “I CAN do it—watch!”
Where does your inspiration come from? Jo says that her inspiration for writing comes mostly from the “what-ifs” that she ponders. Observing the world around you will fill you with some curiosity. Your perspective comes from your assumptions, and often the best creativity is born when things don’t happen like you expect.
Dealing with Expectations:
Do you fall into the trap of trying to please everyone? You know that it’s not possible, and you drive yourself crazy when you try. Jo explains how, as a writer, she balances her creativity with her expectations and the expectations of others. Have YOUR vision of how you want things to go, and move forward from there.
Guest Recommendation: ONE action for a dream-chaser to take—“Don’t set limitations for yourself. You are limitless and can do whatever you want.”
OUTLINE OF THIS EPISODE:
- [3:41] Jo’s characters and choreography
- [6:24] Jo’s dreams of writing
- [9:00] Figuring out the steps to take
- [14:12] Dealing with rejection as a writer
- [15:54] Making changes according to the feedback
- [17:58] Where the inspiration comes from
- [23:48] How long it takes to write a book
- [25:54] Balancing expectations from yourself and others
- [29:34] Overcoming writer’s block
- [34:39] Jo’s favorite literary character mash-up?
- [36:52] Jo’s ONE action for a dream chaser
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE:
Jo on Twitter
Jo on Facebook
Jo on Instagram
The Confidentially Yours series
The Silverskin Legacy fantasy trilogy
TWEETS YOU CAN USE: