You can’t just be hustling all the time, you also need to take time to rest. We’ve been glorifying the hustle culture for far too long that taking a break seems unacceptable.
In this episode, Aimee tackles a topic that we don’t normally discuss – taking a break. For the longest time, we’ve been taught that hustling is the only way to achieve our dreams. We didn’t realize that too much hustle leads to burnout and not becoming the best version of ourselves.
There should be no shame in taking a break, it’s also a form of self-care. You spark more creative juices if you realize that your true power lies in having a rest.
THE IMPORTANCE OF REST
The hustle culture has been around for years but now we see a positive shift. People are more accepting of the thought that rest is needed if we want to function better.
As Aimee mentioned, we’re slowly learning that “hustling isn’t always the answer.” This comes from a personal experience as Aimee also learned the value of having rest.
Rest helps bring your energy level back up. If you’re consistently working without taking a break, it can be detrimental to your health. You might experience fatigue and burnout and this leads to not feeling motivated to go to work or do something you’ve always been passionate about.
You need to understand that your energy depletes if you’re too obsessed with work, and you need to restore this energy. Taking breaks helps you become more productive and stronger in the long run.
“Hustling isn't always the answer.” #chasingdream
“Rest helps bring your energy level back to come back stronger.”
WHAT WE NEED TO TEACH THE NEXT GENERATION ABOUT REST
We’ve been taught working long hours indicates the highest quality of work but we come to realize that this is not effective. It blocks productivity and drains creativity.
We need to teach the next generation that rest is a significant part of work, regardless of the industry you’re in. Pulling all-nighters is not going to help all the time. It only teaches you to ineffectively manage your time.
The power is in the rest. If you’re someone who takes pride in not having a vacation, you better evaluate what you’re doing in life. Take a step back and figure out why you’re not having a well-deserved break.
Even schools are now acknowledging the importance of taking breaks for the mental health of students. We talked about this in Episode 261.
It’s the same thing for adults at work. They are at risk of experiencing burnout if they don’t allow themselves to take a break.
“The power is in the rest.” #chasingdreams
“You might do yourself more harm than good if you don't take a break.” #chasingdreams
“Teach the next generation not to work in long batches of time.”
“It's so important that we find some way to take rest.”
“You can burn out at work if you don't allow breaks to be taken.
CREATIVE BURNOUT – WHAT IS IT AND HOW DOES IT AFFECT AN INDIVIDUAL
Creative burnout is something that artists experience. We talk about taking a break but when you do take a rest, you also feel guilty for doing so. Creatives and even professionals may be in a constant struggle whether to take a break or not.
If you feel confused, understand that taking a break is necessary. You may not realize that you’re already in the burnout stage and keep on pushing through but one day you just don’t want to do your work anymore.
You may think that you’re doing your best but in reality, you just continue with work and do not give 100% percent to it. In Aimee’s case as a podcaster, she’s been taught that consistency is key.
They have to consistently publish new episodes since this signals podcasting success. But there’s proof that creatives who took a break may lose listeners but they can also gain more.
Other shows take hiatus or a planned break, and they come back stronger. We need to get rid of following a specific formula and start being in tune with what our bodies and minds need.
Remember, it’s okay to take a step back and refuel your soul, so you can come back with better ideas and habits.
“You need to take that step back, you need to take a break.”
“Creative burnout affects a lot of people but we just don't realize it.”
Aimee’s Recommendation: ONE action for a dream chaser to take –
Take a break. You’ll get a better understanding of what you want in life when you don’t experience burnout. There is more to life than hustling, keep chasing your dreams but learn the importance of rest.
OUTLINE OF THE EPISODE
- [00:20] The importance of rest
- [02:23] What we need to teach the next generation about rest
- [05:42] Creative Burnout – What is it and how does it affect an individual
- [10:00] The summer hiatus of Chasing Dreams
- Creative Burnout Article by Kerry-Ann Reid-Brown
- Chasing Dreams Podcast Ep. 115: Kerry-Ann Reid Brown – Using Your Own Flair to Help Others Chase Their Dreams
- Chasing Dreams Podcast Ep 261: Aimee J – It’s Okay to Not Be Okay
- “Rest helps bring your energy level back to come back stronger.”
- “Teach the next generation not to work in long batches of time.”
- “It's so important that we find some way to take rest.”
- “You can burn out at work if you don't allow breaks to be taken.”
- “Creative burnout affects a lot of people but we just don't realize it.”
- “There is no shame in taking care of yourself; we're just not used to it.”
- “You are loved, important, needed and most importantly, you are enough, just the way you are as you are, no ifs or buts about it.”
TWEETS YOU CAN USE
- “Hustling isn't always the answer.” #chasingdreams
- “Pulling all-nighters is not going to help you.” #chasingdreams
- “The power is in the rest.” #chasingdreams
- “If you're someone who prides himself on never having a vacation, I'm going to need you to take a moment and think on that.” #chasingdreams
- “You might do yourself more harm than good if you don't take a break.” #chasingdreams
- “People need the breaks, people are valuable.” #chasingdreams